kshAuth - Authentication and Authorization Interface for Apache
2.2+ Web Server
This set of scripts provide a web based interface for implementing
password protection on web sites served by an Apache web server. These
scripts are written in Korn Shell
93 shell syntax and make use of the Apache utility "htpasswd", which
is used to generate and modify passwords, and controlled by the
The original purpose of "kshAuth" was to provide minimal
protection for an internal documentation server. It is not designed
for use with public access web servers.
The features of this system include the ability to designate one or
more administrators to manage one or more directories under control of
kshAuth. Administrators have the ability to grant or deny user access
to directories they administer. They have the ability to place a
directory under password protection or remove it from protection.
Additionally an administrator may delegate administrator authority to
- Password protection of one or more directories.
- Grant or deny access to password protected directories.
- Administration duties may be delegated to other users.
- Unlimited nesting of administration structures.
- Unlimited nesting of directory password protection.
- Users may change their own password.
- Administrators may change their own password or the password of
- Can be easily incorporated into existing "look-and-feel"
- Change User password - Allows the user to change their own
- Change Administrator Password - Allows the directory administrator
to change their own password.
- Change User Password - Allows the directory administrator to change
a user's password.
- Create Administrator Authorization Level - Create a new
authorization level for directory administrators in the current working
- Remove Admin Authorization Level - Remove an existing authorization
level for directory administrators from the current working
- Add Directory Administrator - Add a directory administrator to the
existing authorization structure.
- Remove Directory Administrator - Remove a directory administrator
from the existing authorization structure.
- Enable Password Protection - Configure password protection for the
current working directory.
- Disable Password Protection - Disable password protection for the
current working directory.
- Grant Access - Grant a user access to the current authorization
- Deny Access - Deny a user access to the current authorization
- Download kshAuth Software
- A gzipped tarball containing the kshAuth software and documentation.
- kshAuth-0.3 Version 0.3
- kshAuth-0.2 Version 0.2
kshAuth Demonstration pages:
- These demonstration pages are non-functional and provide the
ability to see how the kshAuth utilities function.
- Instructions for installing kshAuth on a system already running an Apache web server.
- A tutorial for kshAuth that describes each component provided.
Change top level kshAuth Directory:
- Instructions to change the top level kshAuth directory
structure to any other user defined directory.
Integrate kshAuth into your Look-and-Feel:
- kshAuth allows you to integrate it into your existing web site
look-and-feel to provide a seemless navigation experience.